[lbo-talk] info query: anti-war referenda in Illinois... and beyond?

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Apr 5 08:16:01 PDT 2007

In Illinois there is a provision of law that allows members of the public to place advisory referenda on the ballot simply by showing up to an annual township meeting, proposing it, and carrying a majority of people present. This can be quite easy to do, because it may well be that the folks who are interested in doing this are the only ones who show up.

The annual township meeting in Illinois is April 10:

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/involved/illinois_referenda.html

1) I would be interested in hearing from anyone in Illinois who is involved in or would be willing to be involved in trying to get anti-war referenda on the ballot through this process.

2) I would be interested in hearing from anyone outside Illinois who has a similar (easy) process for doing this in their area. We would post the information and try to facilitate people taking advantage of it.

Thanks,

Robert Naiman Just Foreign Policy