[lbo-talk] what's happening in Ukraine?

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 08:31:51 PDT 2007

--- joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> Chris?
>
> Joanna

I'm overloaded with work and haven't been following current events except in passing for a couple of weeks, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Anyway Yushchenko is dissolving the parliament ostensibly (and it may be the truth) that Rada members have been leaving parties and joining the other side, or voting with the other side, or something like that. So Yanukovych's supporters are gathering in Kiev as are Yushchenko's.

The subtext is that Yushchenko is very, very unpopular, having not delivered on anything after the Orange Revo and broken with Tymoshenko, whereas Yanukovych is the most popular politician in Ukraine.

On another level this is like last time a fight between Western and Eastern Ukrainian business and governmental clans over access to flows of money.

I would not be surprised at all if Ukraine ceases to exist as a single country in the near future, given how regionally polarized politics are there. E.g. if Ukraine were to join NATO as Yushchenko suicidally wants (despite it being opposed by 70% of people in Ukraine), the East and large sections of the central regions of the country would view it as him having let in an occupying enemy army.

If this happens, Crimea may break away as a third entity. Expect brutal ethnic clashes between Tatars and Slavs there if that happens.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Bored stiff? Loosen up... Download and play hundreds of games for free on Yahoo! Games. http://games.yahoo.com/games/front