[lbo-talk] Not A Very Nice Man ( Was Re: Marx was no liberal; didn'tsuffer fools gladly)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 5 08:58:11 PDT 2007

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> Carrol:
>
> He wasn't very nice to his illegitimate son -- but his daughter Eleanor
> richly made up for that by her own treatment of her half-brother.
> Eleanor strikes me as the finest human of the Marx clan.
>
> [WS:] True, but then she married her comrade and the uber-asshole Edward
> Aveling who treated her like shit and later forced her into suicide.

Not too far off, but the story was a bit more comlicated.

Incidentally the Norton edition of Madame Bovary uses her translation, modified by Paul DeMan. I understand that William Archer's translations of Ibsen owe a lot to her. A very great lady -- who caught my attention to begin with because she suffered from depression.

Carrol