[lbo-talk] Pánfilo Reséndiz free in Querétaro

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 09:00:02 PDT 2007

As a result of a 2-year long popular struggle to liberate him, Pánfilo Reséndiz was finally released. He was in prison for helping the working poor in Querétaro, México organize and struggle for decent housing and other public services.

Pánfilo Reséndiz spoke recent in a rally in Querétaro. The rally was staged to demand that Cristina Rosas Illescas -- another leader who was jailed along with Pánfilo -- be freed as well. Pánfilo is a "regular" construction worker of a very humble background. Yet he spoke with great calm and eloquence in the rally.

There Pánfilo said (my translation): "They put you in jail to scare you, to intimidate you. Well, I'm back to where I was before I was imprisoned. I'm back to continue the struggle and advance the interest of the working poor. I'm now more experienced and learned, more determined. Only dead will I be silenced."

http://www.antorchacampesina.org.mx/videos/marcha.wmv