[lbo-talk] Tracy Quan: Easter Sunday 6 PM with PONY, $pread & Transmission: join me at this free event in Manhattan

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Apr 5 12:17:30 PDT 2007

From: Tracy Quan Date: April 5, 2007 3:00:31 PM EDT Subject: Easter Sunday 6 PM with PONY, $pread & Transmission: join me at this free event in Manhattan

Hi everybody,

Please feel free to forward this to anyone who's interested!

I will speak very briefly at this experimental Easter service... about the long, strange career of Mary Magdalen. PONY will be there, with $pread. All proceeds from my book sales will be donated to Transmission to help them recover the cost of this event.

We got a nice write-up in Time Out this week -- we are featured alongside the "Kinky" Passover Seder in Prospect Heights. (TONY, Apr 5-11, page 10)

love, Tracy

Easter at Avalon (Free Event) 6 PM

+ Local sex workers, artists, and an underground Manhattan church combine forces to bring you an experimental Easter service at this Chelsea dance club (formerly The Limelight)

+ Come honor Mary Magdalene and celebrate one of western civilization's oldest springtime/resurrection festivals

+ All are welcome, regardless of age, gender, profession, or how many times you've been born

Sunday, Apr. 8th, 6 p.m. FREE Club Avalon 47 West 20th Street @ Sixth Avenue

CURIOUS? www.transmissioning.org Email epiphany.ny at gmail.com

Tracy Quan will be speaking and Hadassah Hill, art director of $pread Magazine, designed our wonderful postcards (download @ www.flickr.com/ photos/bowiesnodgrass/422471342/)

WANT TO GET INVOLVED? Come! bring a friend - or twelve

P.S. HISTORY OF SEX WORKERS AT AVALON

Long before the notorious New York nightclub 'Limelight' was re- christened 'Avalon', the Gothic Revival structure was built as 'Holy Communion Episcopal Church' by William Augustus Muhlenberg, who later instituted a radical ministry to help brothel workers and abandoned mistresses start new lives. Muhlenberg's Feast Day on the Episcopal Calendar of Feasts and Fasts is April 8th, which this year also happens to be Easter Sunday.

Contact rachel at spreadmagazine.org for information about the PONY/ $PREAD table

Easter at Avalon Sunday, Apr. 8th, 6 p.m. FREE Club Avalon 47 West 20th Street @ Sixth Avenue