[lbo-talk] You Can't Make Me Talk

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 6 10:06:46 PDT 2007

On Apr 6, 2007, at 12:05 PM, Ted Winslow wrote:

> In so far as it's a question about the organization of instrumental
> activity in Marx's imagined ideal republic, it's a question of how
> "universally developed individuals," in Marx's sense, would do this.

Well we're a long way from those, aren't we? Capitalism doesn't create anything like those individuals, and I'm not sure it even creates such individuals in chrysalis. So, answering questions about economic arrangements in a better society by assuming the existence of a different kind of individual is a kind of utopianism that doesn't have much to do with Marx, or any imaginable alternative society either.

Doug