[lbo-talk] how many Americans go to church, and why?

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Apr 6 12:31:40 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Yup. Younger people are less racist, less sexist, and less homophobic
> too. The trends are not in the religious right's favor.

I don't have any data on this, but I'll guess that even the younger evangelicals are less racist, less sexist and hold more progressive social ideas. After all, they do interact with more secular teens, despite efforts by the megachurches to totally control their lives.

In related news: Last month the Kansas City Star published this wonderful expose on Jerry Johnston, the evangelical preacher who runs a huge megachurch (http://www.ffc.org/) in Olathe (pronounced O-lay-the), KS. The Star found that Johnston had packed the church's financial committee with family members. He has been living a lavish lifestyle and has been using church funds to buy rural property for a "church camp." He even ripped off the congregation with a scam to build some memorial on church grounds. He also calls himself a "Doctor" when he never attended graduate school of any kind.

This guy is the scumbag who has led the fight against queer rights in Kansas.

Typical Christian hypocrite.

Christian bloggers express outrage over Jerry Johnston's transgression http://hopeandpolitics.blogspot.com/2007/03/kansas-christian-bloggers-express.html

Chuck