[lbo-talk] Newton tortured people, was: Re: [Fwd: nice guy]

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 6 15:04:42 PDT 2007

>From: andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>
>
>... People in Newton's day were a lot more
>hardened to death and torture than we were; Londoners
>could walk across the Tower bridge and smell the
>rotting heads of the hapless traitors that were
>impaled on spikes across the top ...

I guess no head has provided greater long-term value as an object of public instruction and contemplation than that of Oliver Cromwell. His mummified noggin has had quite a checkered career. As one web source notes:

-- The head was first put on public display in January 1661 when Charles II had Cromwell, dead for over two years, disentombed from Westminster Abbey, dragged to Tyburn, hanged for a day, then beheaded to mark the anniversary of Charles I's beheading. Cromwell's head remained stuck on a spike for public viewing at Westminster Hall for over two decades, then it apparently blew down in a storm and was retrieved by a sentry who kept it hidden for years.

-- Cromwell's head remerged in the public eye, better than ever, in 1710 when it was put on show at in a private museum. In later decades it was apparently acquired by a succession of speculators and featured at various curiosity galleries.

-- In 1814 the head was bought by Josiah Henry Wilkinson, who one contemporary source said "doats upon it." A descendant of Wilkinson refused the BBC permission to film the head in 1954 but apparently did delight local children with it on a regular basis.

Unfortunately the head's long public service is over. It passed into the hands of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, four decades ago and reburied ... in a hidden location.

<http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/leisure/museums/cromwell/online/>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John.  Enter to win today. http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline