[lbo-talk] how many Americans go to church, and why?

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Sat Apr 7 04:43:50 PDT 2007

At 12:21 PM 4/6/2007, Doug Henwood wrote:
>[tables omitted here too - note that the "sociability" reason for
>attending church, frequently cited on this list, is given by just 1
>in 8 respondents - it's mostly about faith & spirituality]

Debz and I were talking about evangelicals. So, in order to know something like that, they'd have to break it out a lot more specifically than non-catholic christians v catholic christians since non-catholic christians contain baptists of the more conventional variety, presbyterians, mainliners, etc. Of non-catholic christians, the evangelicals comprise only about 20% if I'm remembering some of the studies Chip Berlet has pointed to. (Catholics comprises, last I knew, about 25% of the population, so possibly, what?, 30% of the christian population? Too lazy to look it up but I'm sure a resourceful list member will. :)

Moreoever, you'd have to do some in-depth qualitative interviews since survey responses are limited -- and effected by things like the "socially acceptable" response phenom. and religion can be especially sensitive topic in the US.

We were also talking about things such as what Ehrenreich mentioned to me, don't know if it's the book, about churches becoming alternative social service agencies. Someone might go to their career transition offerings when they run out of cash to afford the private agencies and then become a regular member "for spiritual reasons" -- when the fact was, they got involved in the first place for rather practical reasons. Another thing they're doing, and I think Deb has mentioned that mainline churches _in the south_ are emulating this, is becoming these massive entertainment complexes. They spend mega amounts of money to have a theater, huge gyms, ball courts, ball fields, hold fairs on their huge grounds, hire christian rock groups to hold concerts, have friday night singles/dance parties, special festivities for children on family nights, etc. When I was a kid, I went to a bible thumping Baptist church with a friend nearly every night where we played in the gym -- nothing like they have in the praise-a-plexes these days -- and then sat in the pews where the youth group leader would call out a quote from the good book and the kids who knew the bible (I didn't, I just watched) would frantically flip thru pages to locate the quote and name the passage.

One thing I notice around here -- and they were mocking it on the radio one night -- was the tendency for people to advise singles to join a church to meet people. The radio skit/call-in show mocking the practice was pretty fuckin' funny.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)