[lbo-talk] Buses Re: Fun With Technology

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sat Apr 7 16:37:08 PDT 2007

Carrol Cox wrote:

> Again, buses do _not_ have to be "awful" -- and as late as the early
> '60s were a quite comfortable, even pleasant way to travel. I don't know
> when the change took place. But I would rather spend 6 hours in a
> 1950s-style bus than 3 hours in a metropolitan airport.

Just about every bus I've been on has more comfortable seats than what you normally get on planes. Even the nicer new planes.

I'm sure that many of you have taken some kind of regional bus other than Greyhound. Like the buses that run from Madison to Chicago. Or the direct buses between DC and NYC. Those buses have lots of leg room and even show movies.

The problem with Greyhound and Amtrak to a lesser degree is all the crap you have to deal with in order to use the system. Woj is right on target with his criticisms. The people who sell tickets at Greyhound stations are fucktards who can't staple two pieces of paper together without training. The bus stations lack seating, vending and other amenities. The bus station in Baltimore is a fucking hell hole located in a fucking alley.

The U.S. could have an excellent regional bus and train system if it spent the money and put some competent people in charge of these systems.

Just look at how efficient the U.S. freight system is. This isn't rocket science. It's a money and people problem.

Chuck