[lbo-talk] the postmodern paradigm of American higher ed.?

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Apr 7 19:24:54 PDT 2007

Nicholas Ruiz III wrote:
> Will American higher education cannibalize itself?
>
> NRIII

I agree that the overreliance on adjuncts in higher ed is a serious problem. In Washington and a number of other states, the AFT and the NEA are supporting state bills to ensure that at least 75% of the faculty in a college or university are full-time faculty. The bill probably won't pass in most states, but at least the problem is being debated. Speaking as someone who has been both an adjunct and a tenured professor, I consider it impossible to establish and maintain high standards in higher education by relying on an adjunct faculty labor force. This isn't a slam on adjunct faculty; it's just a statement based the substandard working conditions for adjuncts in higher ed (e.g., many adjuncts lack of an office to tutor students and are infrequently on campus).

Miles