[lbo-talk] dire words from IPCC

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Apr 8 07:28:55 PDT 2007

On Apr 8, 2007, at 10:11 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> On 4/8/07, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 7, 2007, at 10:29 PM, tfast wrote:
>>
>>> I absolutely think it is going to happen and that is why the right
>>> is so
>>> frightened by the environment: It puts the social regulation of
>>> capitalism
>>> back on the political agenda with an inevitability.
>>
>> Excellent point. Time for some ACT-UPish actions at Ceres <http://
>> www.ceres.org/Call_to_Action/index.php>?
>
> Which says, "Wherever possible, the national policy should include
> mandatory market-based solutions, such as a cap-and-trade system, that
> establish an economy-wide carbon price, allow for flexibility and
> encourage innovation," backed by BP America, etc.? Isn't this what is
> called greenwashing?

It's more than greenwashing, but less than what should be done. They, and other corporate enviros, are calling for pretty steep cuts in greenhouse gas emissions, but you have to wonder how serious they really are - and the cap-and-trade system is deeply problematic. (I'll post my Nation piece on all this when the magazine comes out at the end of the week.) But is it an entirely bad thing to have big capital showing signs of taking climate change seriously, and trying to push the U.S. government into action? It's not like there's a vigorous mass movement on this right now.

Doug