[lbo-talk] You Can't Make Me Talk

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Sun Apr 8 09:15:06 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> That's all very nice, Ted, but how do you propose to make sure people
> get food on the table and a roof over their heads?

That's a very interesting question. My point was, though, that it's not addressed by critical or "Marxist" treatments of the matter that misinterpret its nature.

For instance, a key "need" met both by the instrumental activity itself and by the "scale of consumption" it makes possible is developmental.

“Labour cannot become play, as Fourier would like, although it remains his great contribution to have expressed the suspension not of distribution, but of the mode of production itself, in a higher form, as the ultimate object. Free time—which is both idle time and time for higher activity—has naturally transformed its possessor into a different subject, and he then enters into the direct production process as this different subject. This process is then both discipline, as regards the human being in the process of becoming; and, at the same time, practice [Ausübung], experimental science, materially creative and objectifying science, as regards the human being who has become, in whose head exists the accumulated knowledge of society.” http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1857/grundrisse/ch14.htm

"this share [of "wages" in production in the penultimate social arrangement] is freed from its capitalist limit and expanded to the scale of consumption that is both permitted by the existing social productivity (i.e. the social productivity of his own labour as genuinely social labour) and required for the full development of individuality" http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1861/economic/ch30.htm

If we move things back to the beginning of this penultimate arrangement just after it has emerged from capitalism, this developmental problem involves overcoming the irrational thinking and feeling that Marx claims would still characterize "individuality" in that context. In the Ecoonomic and Philosophic manuscripts he elaborates this in terms of sexual thinking and feeling.

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1844/manuscripts/comm.htm

Ted