[lbo-talk] You Can't Make Me Talk

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 8 14:27:42 PDT 2007

On 4/8/07, Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:
> Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:
> > Incidentally, Michael Albert has an interesting counterpoint:
>
> > "Does the word induce a bit of nausea in some of you? It does in
> > me. But we need to get over that, because efficiency really means
> > seeking to attain our aims and in doing so not wasting things we
> > value. We should all therefore favor efficiency. The alternative
> > to favoring efficiency is to favor either not attaining our aims,
> > or to favor wasting things that we value.
>
> But this ignores the fact that efficiency in some domains can block us
> from obtaining our aims in other domains. We can't just simply say "we
> should be efficient"; rather, we have to ask "What are the exogenous
> costs of this form of efficiency in other domains of social life? Based
> on our values, is this a reasonable trade-off?" --A couple of examples.

It's possible to extrapolate too much from this single quote.

With "radical theory," Albert argues that there are different spheres of activity to consider -- economic sphere being only one. If you just describe society from the perspective of economics or polity or gender or nationalism, you'll probably suffer from tunnel vision. [1]

Also, efficiency is only one of his economic goals. He lists others, which may trade off with efficiency: solidarity, self-management, diversity and equity.

Further, Albert's measure of efficiency takes into account social costs, the kind which mainstream economists seem to ignore. [2]

Incidentally, he kinda seems to agree with von Mises' arguments, that centralized economies are inefficient. And that for Parecon: "Prices providing accurate estimates of the full social costs and benefits of inputs and outputs are the most important quantitative communicative tools we use." [3]

[1] <http://www.zmag.org/Instructionals/RTInstruc/id29.htm> [2] <http://www.zmag.org/books/pareconv/Chapter3.htm#_VPID_34> [3] <http://www.zmag.org/books/4.htm>

Tayssir

-- Your mileage may vary...