[lbo-talk] delicate balance of hip

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 8 18:32:42 PDT 2007

<http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-strip8apr08,1,1989497.story?page=1&coll=la-headlines-frontpage>http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-strip8apr08,1,1989497.story?page=1&coll=la-headlines-frontpage

Sunset Strip's hip are go-going elsewhere

Leaders commission a marketing study as they watch the party crowd head to Hollywood. By David Pierson Times Staff Writer

April 8, 2007

The girl in the glass tank at the Standard lobby is looking needy.

When the boutique hotel opened a decade ago, quickly becoming a hipster haven on the Sunset Strip, everyone talked about the models in the see-through box ­ a sort of immobile go-go girl who could always be counted on to be too cool to acknowledge the presence of people outside her rectangular world.

But two hours before last call on a recent Saturday, she looks starved for attention, staring directly at the trickle of customers crossing the velvet rope.

[.....]