[lbo-talk] Pearls before breakfast

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 9 03:56:11 PDT 2007

On 4/9/07, Wojtek Sokolowski <swsokolowski at yahoo.com> wrote:
> This is an interesting experiment in which a
> world-class classical musician performed at a DC metro
> station during a morining rush hour. The object of
> the experiement was to find out how many people would
> recognize a virtuoso performance.
>
> Another observation, if art is reduced to background
> noise by radios, walkmans, ipods and kindred gizmos -
> it becomes a noise that is largely ignored.

I suspect the explanations are more fundamental than that. Societally, we're supposed to ignore poor people.

Were there many seats in that room? Is the architecture designed so people bubble in and out, with no space to contemplate?

Classical music -- why was this particular genre chosen? (In "old Europe," I frequently travel between German and Netherlands cities. When I go to peoples' homes and parties, they're not playing classical. Rather, much of it's contemporary US. Rock, pop, maybe jazz, etc.)

With so many words in this article, much is left unsaid.

Tayssir