[lbo-talk] Radicalizing the carbon cycle

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon Apr 9 21:25:29 PDT 2007

[W] The truth is, however, that there is a lot of good science in the "unholy alliance" of capitalists, governments, trade unions, and other mainstream institutions. I would go as afar as saying that there is incomparably more good science in the mainstream institutions..

------

Wojtek, I know that. That isn't really the point. The point is to use that knowledge base as part of the conceptual or mentally organizing principle. My note of caution, comes from actually participating in some of that kind of science and then watching it transformed into policies and economic activities that were a perversion of the original motivations of the people who did the scientific work... In this case the field was corn genetics---the core of GM crappola. The basic science was great and well motivated for interests in evolution and understanding various molecular cell processes.

Anyway, I agree with you mostly. I am not advocating crack-pot backyard science. I am advocating understanding the science and creating our own policy ideas out of it. That's all.

Gotta go to work... more later

CG