[lbo-talk] The Iraq Policy of the U.S. Ruling Class

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Apr 9 10:07:11 PDT 2007

On Monday 09 April 2007 12:21, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:
> > The fundamental grounds upon which all leftists "soft on the DP" base
> > their position is the charge that DP politicians are "cowards" --
> > i.e.,
> > the DP really has good principles but is simply afraid to back up
> > those
> > principles. Nonsense. They have firm principles: Imperialist
> > Principles
> > -- and they would rather lose elections than fail to support those
> > principles.
>
> This is true, but I think a lot of people in the higher circles are
> coming around to the view that the Iraq disaster is harming the
> imperium.

Presumably if there gets to be an elite consensus to bag it then the Democrats will fall happily into line. But for whatever reason, the factions or components of the American elite that wanted war with Iraq are apparently still dominant, and so that's where the Dems, like the Repubs, are getting their marching orders.