[lbo-talk] The Iraq Policy of the U.S. Ruling Class

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Apr 9 16:08:44 PDT 2007

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> On 4/9/07, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > Yoshie wrote:
> > >the ruling class, especially the US ruling class, never do
> > >what middling sorts think are "good for the system" on their own.
> >
> > They got rid of Nixon.
>
> Americans were much more militant in the streets back then than they
> are now. The ruling class are feeling no such pressures from the
> lower orders in the USA today. All quiet on the home front.

I believe Doug has quoted Martha Graham as saying (of the Post's part in that) -- "Never Again." And to add to Yoshie's point, the ruling class _had_ been spooked by the '60s. It didn't feel from 'inside' that we were all that much a threat, but apparently some v.i.p.s were very determined to calm the waters. And between the slump of '74* and the "see the system works" of Watergate, calmed they were. (*An economic hit of that magnitude fragments and individualizes working people.)

Carrol