[lbo-talk] Pearls before breakfast

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 9 16:27:28 PDT 2007

On 4/9/07, Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:
> This demonstrates that:
> (i) poor people are not 'ignored" as you allege;

Well, somewhere buried in the article is:

"Souza nods sourly toward a spot near the top of the escalator:

'Couple of years ago, a homeless guy died right there. He just lay

down there and died. The police came, an ambulance came, and no

one even stopped to see or slowed down to look.'"

In contrast, the violinist "has played, literally, before crowned heads of Europe" and his "talents can command $1,000 a minute."

My point was not that this violinist was ignored because he was poor. I must've been unclear. My sentence was about this article itself, what it focussed on and ignored.

But I guess it's completely gratuitous for me to mention it on this forum of all places. So I retract the point, as it's just random carping on my part, I guess...

Tayssir