[lbo-talk] Adventures in outsoucing

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 11 05:42:39 PDT 2007

[It's hard to believe it was just 20 years ago that I was a speechwriter at American Express Company, a lead member of the Coalition of Service Industries, hymning the glories of the emerging service economy that was going to be America's salvation from manufacturing deindustrialization. Even at the time I knew it was twaddle; nevertheless, I'm still stunned when I read news like that below. Sure, outsoucings may still remain relatively minor compared to total US employment, but no doubt they are *the* most important marginal change occurring ... and marginal change is of course the only factor that really matters. No question about it: The US economy is dooomed.]

April 11, 2007 Citigroup to Lay Off 17,000 in Overhaul By ERIC DASH

Citigroup announced today that it would eliminate or reassign more than 26,500 jobs as part of a sweeping overhaul to cut costs and streamline the global bank’s sprawling operations.

Under intense pressure from investors, the company announced plans to lay off more than 17,000 workers, with the first pink slips coming this week. About 9,500 jobs will be moved to locations overseas or around the United States where the cost of doing business is lower, from more expensive locations like London, Hong Kong, and New York, where the company’s headquarters are based. Two-thirds of those jobs will be eliminated through attrition.

Roughly 8 percent of Citigroup’s 327,000 workers, from entry-level consumer bankers to senior executives in the investment bank, will be affected by the restructuring. All five of its major business divisions will face cuts.

“Ultimately these changes will streamline Citi and make us leaner, more efficient, and better able to take advantage of high revenue opportunities,” Charles O. Prince III, Citigroup’s chairman and chief executive officer said in a statement. ...

<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/business/11cnd-bank.html?_r=1&hp=&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1176294116-scIrO2g0dRWcBxBEwhGBcA>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Can’t afford to quit your job? – Earn your AS, BS, or MS degree online in 1 year. http://www.classesusa.com/clickcount.cfm?id=866145&goto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classesusa.com%2Ffeaturedschools%2Fonlinedegreesmp%2Fform-dyn1.html%3Fsplovr%3D866143