[lbo-talk] Vonnegut

chuck at mutualaid.org chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Apr 12 08:51:01 PDT 2007

Vonnegut's passing is a major bummer for me, kind of in the Kurt Cobain/John Lennon category of cultural icons who will be really missed. Vonnegut lived a long life and I'm sure the Tralfalmadorians observed a bright spark yesterday at the end of Vonnegut's wormtrip through space and time.

BAM!

I think I've read almost all of Vonnegut's works, save for the most recent one. I really loved Vonnegut as an entertaining, thought-provoking, hilarious and much more.

I experienced one of his brilliant lectures at the University of Kansas in the mid 80s. I remember his hilarious take on plots in fiction. He diagrammed the plot of Kafka's "Metamophosis." He showed the standard plot line with the climax peak. The hsi diagrammed the plot of his novels, in which mostly nothing happens, hence the horizontal line.

One of the best sources for pithy witticisms about the demise of Vonnegut is Fark: http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=2733876

Chuck

//stuck in the airport waiting for the weather in NYC to improve ///they just announced another delay of an hour ///at least the sun just came out here in Kanasas City