[lbo-talk] Anti-globalists Reach Out to Islamists

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 11:21:22 PDT 2007

On 4/12/07, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Yoshie wrote:
> >Perhaps it's not a great idea to generalize from Tariq Ali's own
> >school years -- how long ago was _that_? -- in Pakistan to Muslim
> >countries in general today.
>
> Right. I'm sure you're more in touch with it than he is.

>From what I have heard, Tariq Ali attended the University of the
Punjab before he left for Oxford. UP lists the School of Biological Sciences (at <http://www.pu.edu.pk/departments/default.asp?deptid=59>) among other things in its Faculty of Life Sciences (at <http://www.pu.edu.pk/faculties/default.asp?facid=9>), whose dean is a woman, Dr. Shahida Hasnain. Perhaps scientific education, including that of biology, in even Pakistan is more advanced than you may be led to believe by a casual remark in an interview (a remark that perhaps was not meant to be taken literally by Tariq Ali). At least two of the graduates of this university are Nobel Prize winners: Har Gobind Khorana (for Physiology or Medicine, 1968) and Abdus Salam (Physics, 1979), <http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1979/salam-bio.html>.

In his Nobel speech, Dr. Salam graciously remarked:

<http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1979/salam-speech.html>

The creation of Physics is the shared heritage of all mankind. East and West, North and South have equally participated in it. In the Holy Book of Islam, Allah says

"Thou seest not, in the creation of the All-merciful any imperfection, Return thy gaze, seest thou any fissure. Then Return thy gaze, again and again. Thy gaze, Comes back to thee dazzled, aweary."

This in effect is, the faith of all physicists; the deeper we seek, the more is our wonder excited, the more is the dazzlement for our gaze.

I am saying this, not only to remind those here tonight of this, but also for those in the Third World, who feel they have lost out in the pursuit of scientific knowledge, for lack of opportunity and resource.

Alfred Nobel stipulated that no distinction of race or colour will determine who received of his generosity. On this occasion, let me say this to those, whom God has given His Bounty. Let us strive to provide equal opportunities to all so that they can engage in the creation of Physics and science for the benefit of all mankind. This would exactly be in the spirit of Alfred Nobel and the ideals which permeated his life. Bless You! -- Yoshie