[lbo-talk] Anti-globalists Reach Out to Islamists

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Apr 12 12:02:39 PDT 2007

On Apr 12, 2007, at 9:29 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Maybe you are forgetting the true state of women in Japan and the USA,
> both of which are in some ways more conservative than Iran when it
> comes to women's rights and lives, even though both are _a lot_ richer
> than it: more Iranian women study engineering and other traditionally
> male-dominated disciplines than Japanese or American women do, e.g.,
> "In the applied physics department of Azad University 70% of the
> graduates are women -- a statistic which would make many universities
> in the West proud" (Frances Harrison, "Women graduates challenge
> Iran," 19 September 2006,

That's all wonderful, but I was quoting from what purported to be an official document on the status of women in Islam published by the Muslim Brotherhood. What that has to do with the number of woman engineers in Iran I don't really know. You were touting the MB as a potential partner for anti-imperialists, weren't you?

Doug