[lbo-talk] Query on Roman Empire

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 12:08:58 PDT 2007

I think the weight of scholarship supports the "decentralized" position for the Western Empire. A lot of the later Emperors did come from the peripheries. Some of them ruled only very briefly. The amount of control that Rome, including an Emperor, could ever exert over the provinces was very low compared to a modern or even an early modern state. In and around Rome a later Emperor who could command the loyalty of the Praetorian Guard was, in modern terms, a dictator. Outside a day's march of the Guard, what Rome could do, and this would decrease with distance, was basically raise or lower taxes, which might or might be enforced or enforceable, levy some men for troops, requisition some grain or livestock, maybe issue a more ore less enforceable demand for regular supplies, and occasionally replace the provincial bureaucracy. The slide from late Rome to the early Middle Ages was, as Henri Perienne has argues, just a matter of degree.