[lbo-talk] Shakespeare's 457th birthday

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 12 22:01:05 PDT 2007

There's a great and growing number of books, articles, and webchats for there to be "no real debate." One might read together Alan Nelson's "Monstrous Adversary" (anti-Oxfordian) and Mark Anderson's "'Shakespeare' By Another Name" (pro-Oxfordian). To take an example almost at random, I was recently in Venice, which the author of the plays obviously knew well: Shaksper of Stratford was never there, but Oxford lived there and loved the place. (And while there learned why one could speak correctly of the "coast of Bohemia" -- which the less-well-traveled Ben Jonson didn't know.) --CGE