[lbo-talk] Shakespeare's 457th birthday

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 22:20:26 PDT 2007

And other plays refer back to event in the 13th (King John) or 12th or 11th (MacBeth) Century -- and some refer back to events around 50 BC (Julius Caesar) or maybe even 5th? century Greece (Timon of Athens).

I'm actually not going to get into a debate with you on this. I view anti-Shakespeareanism as a combination of crankery and snobbery. Shakespeare's authorship is far better attested than than of almost any other playwright/poet of his day, with the possible! exception of Ben Jonson. I wouldn't believe in the authorship of the Earl of Oxford, Francis Bacon, Christopher Marlowe, or any of the other candidates if they found the manuscripts in their effects.