[lbo-talk] South -> North Cash Flow?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 13 06:50:47 PDT 2007

On Apr 13, 2007, at 9:30 AM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> I was raised to vaguely understand that wealth in the United States
> flows from the South (with its cheaper labor and more abundant natural
> resources) to the North. However, I have no empirical basis for
> believing this, and honestly don't know where to start looking for
> something to prove or disprove it; maybe I just can't summon the right
> keywords. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

New York City certainly profited enormously off the cotton trade - New York bankers made money financing it, shippers made money on exporting cotton and importing finished goods, New York merchants made money selling those finished goods to the South. All in all, a classic colonial relationship, and why so many NY interests supported slavery. But after the Civil War, I'm not so sure.

Doug