[lbo-talk] Raising my kids right/Going Legit

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 17:41:39 PDT 2007

On 4/13/07, andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The other night, concluding a political discussion at
> dinner about the international arms trade, the
> Iran-Contra scandal, US policy in Iraq, the AG
> firings, the disappearance of habeas corpus, etc., my
> thirteen year old (14 tomorrow) son pronounced:
>
> "I promise you on the souls of my children that in
> five years, ten at the most, the United States
> government will be completely legitimate."

J.M.: "Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in!"

Well there can be worse political educations than "The Godfather Trilogy".... And I can see you were rather proud of your son! I didn't know kids still watched the damn movie.

But I do know the feeling! We will never go legit.

For 3 gens half of my family were cops and lawyers and the other half gangsters and mobsters. And frankly I could never tell the difference very much...

What are you to do? Once you're in, you're in. The only other choices are bankruptcy and drugs. Or death... or jail because of a failure to pay taxes. It doesn't look like anyone is going to kills us or bust us for not paying our taxes so I'm betting we'll go bankrupt and burn ourselves out with carbon and cocaine. The Great American Empire will go down decrepit and dying -- its children murdered on the steps of some opera house, its allies slaughtered as enemies -- before it ever goes legit.

Jerry