[lbo-talk] saaay what?

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Sat Apr 14 06:16:16 PDT 2007

At 06:48 AM 4/14/2007, you wrote:
>Sometimes I think I have been away too long (I was born 'n bred in the
>US, but have lived in NL for most of my adult life, and I don't watch
>television except cable news when wars break out). If someone were to
>refer to "nappy-headed hoes" in my presence, I'd have no idea what
>they are talking about, let it alone that it might be considered
>offensive. What is 'ho' short for? And what image am I supposed to I
>conjure up for "nappy-headed"?
>
>--
> Colin Brace
> Amsterdam

ho - whore. to my memory, it's been around since, at least, 1994 when the young woman who babysat for me when I went out in the evening laughed when I was talking about a garden hoe. :)

nappy headed is really only something I picked up from being friends with black people or reading black literature where someone might describe the community old head saying, "Get your nappy-headed self on the sidewalk." I've never heard it used as slang for whites to use against blacks but I really haven't been around that many peole who say such things. My Pittsburgh born and raised step dad, who grew up in middle class suburbs populated by engineers working in local industry. He was racist as all get out and I could never figure out how my mother, of all people, could marry the guy who, at the time, was a college prof (her's) teaching at community college while finishing up the PhD he never finished. Even so, I never heard him use it.

I'm curious if anyone else has ever heard whites refer to blacks as "nappy headed".

I think it's kind of tragic that this much and worse gets said about women on a daily basis on those shows and no one really gives a rat's ass. Not too long ago, there was a commercial airing for a local radio program, a call in show. This show features people who call in and answer a kind of truth or dare question. In this case, the woman calling in was telling them her deepest fantasy. She giggled and said that her fantasy was a rape fantasy. These are common fantasies and if you understand a single thing about women's fantasy life in the US, you get it in a far more complex way. IOW, an adult conversation could be had about the way those rape fantasies are the complex result of women's sexuality being constrained by a culture where women are expected to follow the lead, who are defined as people who have an animal like sexuality that must be unleashed by a man. Once unleashed by the right man, then she is allowed to be sexual -- but not until then. She can't be the initiator of sex, but must have some special man unlock her sexuality. She mst be given permission, in other words. Those kind of fantasies are so common because they are a response to a wider culture in which women are bound by a catch 22: damned if they do, damned if they don't. (E.g., lo many years ago, MTV featured a guy showing a geek how to get dates. At the end of the evening, women would give the "hot" guy their number. To which he told the geek in training to be stud, "See, great. You throw out the number. If she doesn't put out, not worth your time."

Geek asks, "So what if she went home with you.

Stud, "throw out the number."

Apparently, if a woman fucks you she trash and she's trash if she doesn't. That kind of attitude still exists these days, given the research on rape fantasies and content analysis of cultural artefacts such as films, novels, advice columns, etc. as well as opinion surveys, response group studies and the like.

Anyway, of course a call in show headed up by the simple minds at this local station couldn't handle the complex cultural analysis that might come out of such a discussion, so the response of the DJ was to say to the woman who confessed rape fantasies and actual engagement in such with her partner, "Oh, so basically you want to be raped? Man, that's off the hook. You are the girl for any guy. That's marriage material."

So, of all the supposedly laff-riot things to feature on an advertisement about how great the call in show is, that was the excerpt. A woman talking about rape fantasies and a man basically saying that his idea of a hot babe any guy ought to have is a woman who wants to be raped. Not because he understands the complexities behind rape fantasies, but because the funny hee ha hee ha thing to say is that women who want to be raped are so awesome because that's what sexuality between men and women is about: rape.

that kind of crap, with the junior high mentality charged up with misogyny, airs every day and no one gets fired. Instead, they use that kind of crap to actually promote radio programs.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)