[lbo-talk] Sea of People in NYC

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Apr 14 05:19:23 PDT 2007

<http://events.stepitup2007.org/events/show/103>

***the BIG one*** Sea of People Mass Rally

New York, NY

April 14, 2007 12:00PM to 03:00PM

Event Description: What is SEA OF PEOPLE? - visit www.seaofpeople.org for more info - New York City's coastal location makes it particularly vulnerable to rising sea levels that will result from unabated warming. A ten-foot change could result from significant melting of the Antarctic and Greenland ice shelves over the course of this century. Such a rise would greatly reconfigure the map of our city, sinking much of lower Manhattan beneath the water.

The SEA OF PEOPLE project combines the dynamics of a mass rally with the expressive power of an interactive artistic installation. A noon rally at Battery Park (main lawn) will kick off the event. Then, thousands of participants, ideally dressed in blue, will stretch north in two columns along the projected eastern and western 10-foot waterlines that may one day redefine lower Manhattan under the ten- foot sea level rise scenario. Creating, in essence, a Sea of People!

We hope for this line to stretch a mile or more, winding up both sides of downtown Manhattan to create a visual and symbolic statement that our elected representatives can't possibly ignore!

SEA OF PEOPLE INSTRUCTIONS: Leave your home, wearing blue, as much blue as you can handle -- blue shirts, blue socks, blue underwear, blue shoes, blue pants, blue hats! Remember, the Sea Of People line is yours, so feel to put your stamp on it--GO NUTS! We've heard through the grapevine that Papa Smurf and the Blue Man Group (or at least impersonators) will be making guest appearances! Others plan on coming dressed in blue speedos, complete with beach balls and umbrellas; there may even be some mermaids! And of course, please feel free to bring BANNERS, NOISEMAKERS, AND ALL YOUR FRIENDS!

Join us at Battery Park on the main lawn at 12 Noon on Saturday, April 14. DIRECTIONS: The Battery is accessible from State Street and Battery Place. It is adjacent to the Staten Island Ferry Terminal (SUBWAY: 4/5 to Bowling Green, R/W to Whitehall Street, 1 to South Ferry. BUS: M1, M6, M15 to South Ferry)