[lbo-talk] Naguib Mahfouz on Justice, Freedom, and the Brotherhood

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 05:57:23 PDT 2007

What do the Brothers and the communists have in common, aside from the opposition to the Mubarak regime, regarding civil liberties, economics, foreign policy, and so forth? A Brother and a communist may be from the same family and meet the same fate, just like in Sugar Street by Naguib Mahfouz. -- Yoshie

<http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2005/773/op6.htm> Justice, freedom and the Brotherhood By Naguib Mahfouz

French novelist Patrice de Meritens, who writes for the newspaper Le Figaro, came to visit me. He wanted to know how I felt about turning 94. I had to admit, I told him, that in old age one has to cope with a bit of solitude. There's much going on and in my age it's hard to keep track of everything. Still, I said, there are things going on I'd rather not know about. Look, for example, at the way the US and the EU are treating the Third World. Was Dreams -- my recent work -- an escape from the painful events of our world? Perhaps, I said. But try as you may to avoid the ugliness of the world, and it will still catch up with you, regardless of age.

De Meritens was curious to know what I think of France. I have read much of Europe's literature, including English, Russian, German and Italian works. But most of what I read came from France. My favourite French writers are Anatole France and the inimitable Marcel Proust. And yet, for me France is more than literature. France gave the world the principles of freedom, equality and fraternity. These are the ideals I embraced since childhood, since the 1919 revolt in Egypt, to be more specific.

Do I associate freedom with justice? Certainly. And I disagree with anyone who wants us to sacrifice one for the other. Do I feel that the Muslim Brotherhood electoral win will compromise freedom? No, I am actually pleased that the religious current is openly engaging in politics. If anything, this would make the religious current more pragmatic. Have I forgiven the Islamists for trying to kill me 10 years ago? Yes, since the first day.

Based on an interview by Mohamed Salmawy.

<http://www.dailystaregypt.com/printerfriendly.aspx?ArticleID=2804> Naguib Mahfouz, an icon of Arab literature, passes away at 94 By Daily Star Egypt staff First Published 8/31/2006

Mohammed Mahdi Akef, supreme guide of the Muslim Brotherhood, released a statement Wednesday saying that he mourns Naguib Mahfouz.

"Mahfouz was an icon ... For the last half a century, [he was] a celebrated figure in writing and literature and [an] intellect, in Egypt and the entire world." Akef said he will personally attend the author's funeral. -- Yoshie