[lbo-talk] Stern

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 07:59:44 PDT 2007

Arash:

[Stern's movie, "Private Parts" was] Very contrived considering they divorced a year or two after the film come out. Maybe they sincerely had just grown apart or some such, but at the time this pretty much confirmed my view that whole loving husband shtick that he went on and on about in interviews was just a cheap marketing ploy to broaden his appeal to a larger audience.

I don't want to try the list's patience with too much Howard-related trivia, and I need to get to the Philly 'Step it Up' climate event, but I did want to offer a brief opinion on this.

My impression is that Howard's and Allison's divorce happened for reasons which are fairly typical - they grew apart, as the saying goes.

If you'd listened to the show for years, you could detect the lengthening cracks in their marriage; cracks which had little to do with strippers or spanking or any of the stuff people thought would sabotage their relationship. Some morning, in the mid 1990's, Howard complained about the way Allison was, in his view, "spoiling" his children with limo rides, cell phones (not as common for kids back then), private tennis lessons and other richie rich pamperings. This luxury besotted gal wasn't the practical, hard working woman he married, he lamented.

They apparently argued quite a lot about child rearing styles.

Anyway, "Private Parts" depiction of his feelings for his wife did not seem contrived at all to those of us who'd followed his musings for years - Allison was once a regular participant in the show via telephone. The affection in their back and forth seemed pretty genuine.

BitchLab:

i didn't know that bit about the 'ranch' b/c, when i've listened to imus on the television, he yaks it up about what great work they do there, yadda. what was the outcome of the scam investigations, even if informal?

Using information from current and former "Cancer Ranch" employees, Howard charged Imus with using the (sometimes terminally) sick children he claimed to be helping as free labor under fairly harsh conditions. I think there were formal investigations and some changes made to ranch operations as a result but the details are hazy at the mo.

And now I'm off for a day of sun-kissed activistism.

.d.