[lbo-talk] Made in the U.S.S.R.

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 12:08:48 PDT 2007

As a sidenote, I've read that the Nazi army's official magazine, Signal, made during World War 2 (and which openly documented a lot war crimes, gleefully) became the standard for magazine layout and design all throughout the West. That is, until the late 1990s when it seemed like more and more magazines tried to make their interiors look like mimics of web pages. http://uw3.de/signal.htm

-B.

PS. After fact-checking what I wrote above, it appears Signal was, in fact, modeled on the US's LIFE magazine. Aha.

Chris Doss wrote:
> The Moscow Times
>
> Made in the U.S.S.R.
>
> A new book explores the history of Soviet Export
> magazine, one of the only sources of
capitalist-style
> advertising in the Soviet Union.
>
> By Anna Malpas
> Published: April 13, 2007
>
> A leggy blonde model strides down the steps of a
> groovy concrete building, her gaze fixed on the ride
> of her dreams: the Zaporozhets ZAZ-966, "a car for
> each and every driver." This unlikely scene was one
of
> the advertising pitches dreamed up by Soviet Export,
> trade magazine whose design innovations are
celebrated