[lbo-talk] WP on Wolfowitz's girlfriend as part of a pattern

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Apr 15 02:07:42 PDT 2007

For me, there were two especially juicy new tidbits in this story:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/14/AR2007041401564.html?referrer=emailarticle

(1) that he did exactly the same sort of salary thing for the two unqualified cronies he famously brought with him to the Bank, as well as for himself, establishing this as his MO (the secondment aspect, which is the only different thing about the Riza case, is also the only part that isn't news); and (2) that part of why this became an ethics problem in the first place was that he never recused himself. What a surprise -- he lied! And not only did he lie in a classically Bushit way -- I recuse myself but I still want to maintain "professional contact" i.e., control her personnel fate -- he actually wrote it in CAPITAL LETTERS just so no one should miss it.

What a paradigmatic piece of work.

Michael