[lbo-talk] Another obscure question (on witches this time)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 15 08:37:18 PDT 2007

Gravity's Rainbow is actually not _such_ a bad place to be getting your history as long as you take it with a huge grain of salt. The Brits were really big on spiritualism, culturally. Henry Sedgewick, the late 19th c utilitarian philosopher, author of the tediously exact classic The Methods of Ethics, was fascinated by spiritualism; he wanted to know about life after death so he could do correct utility calculations for different courses of conduct. Nor was he a crank by British standards. For a fictional prewar depiction of the "seances" in Dorothy Sayers' Unnatural Death. Alistair Crowley, admittedly a bit of the mainstream, was a Brit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleister_Crowley

MI5 invested in psychic research during the WWII to oppose Nazi military occult research, see, e.g.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Ernst_Krafft

though, insofar as one can talk in these terms, without the mystical overtones the Germans brought to the occult. There is talk of psychic divisions in MI5, but the sources are not reliable. I have the rather vague impression that both the US and USSR did some psychic research during the Cold War.