[lbo-talk] 300,000 rally against Turkish government

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Apr 15 10:14:54 PDT 2007

On Apr 15, 2007, at 12:32 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> On 4/15/07, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 15, 2007, at 11:18 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>>
>>> I'm afraid that many secular Western leftists would prefer a
>>> military
>>> dictatorship that bans hijab to a democracy that allows but does not
>>> impose hijab.
>>
>> Since Carrol won't play his usual role in demanding names rather than
>> generalizations, I'll do it - who are these western leftists? Not me
>> or anyone I know. So name one - no, more than one, since you said
>> "many."
>
> Mike Ballard, normally a pacific man not known for any sympathy for
> militarism, seems positively elated by a big pro-military rally in
> Turkey, _just because_ it is billed as a rally in defense of
> secularism against an Islamist party (even though, in this case, it's
> a party that is more cosmopolitan and more oriented to Europe than
> hard-line secular nationalists) and favorably covered in the corporate
> Western media. Western leftists can be as simple and provincial as
> that, and I doubt that Mike is an exception. I'd expect many of them
> to support the Democratic Left Party (social democrats,
> <http://www.dsp.org.tr/MEP/>) which joined the rally (if they look
> into the matter enough to find out that it was also part of it).

So "many secular Wstern leftists" are actually Mike Ballard, who probably didn't know who was behind the demo, and who I'm confident (though he can speak for himself) would not "prefer a military dictatorship that bans hijab to a democracy that allows but does not impose hijab." I really can't imagine anyone who'd prefer that, so you're just making stuff up, aren't you?

And I'll bet that a lot of those 300,000 wouldn't prefer such a dictatorship either - they're just afraid of Islamists. Don't you often say that people support Islamist parties for their own reasons without supporting theocracy? Can't that apply in the other direction?

Doug