[lbo-talk] 300,000 rally against Turkish government

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Apr 15 10:26:23 PDT 2007

Yoshie writes:

"It's a good question whether secular Western leftists choose democracy under the AKP or its demise at the hands of the secularist military in Turkey."

But many Turkish leftists I know are secularists even though they fought against the military. They know that Ataturk's Republic was deeply conservative but still support secularisation. Of course it is something of an hysterical reaction, given that Erdogan's 'Islamism' is about as Islamic as Angela Merkel's Christian Democracy is Christian, but I would not assume that defence of Turkish secularism is all reactionary.

James Heartfield