[lbo-talk] Wolfowitz 'to stay' at World Bank

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Apr 15 18:44:43 PDT 2007

> [WS:] What surprises me is that the powers that be are willing to
> sacrifice the international reputation of the Bank to save the position of
> a Bush cronie. Why?

Because institutionally, the Power that Be at the bank is the US government. For enough foreign countries to gang up and oppose its wishes on a seat it owns would be an historical departure of extraordinary magnitude, and for most of them this is a trivial personnel matter, not nearly worth the risks and efforts, and certainly not against an administration known for its vengefulness.

But it may be better this way. So long as he's up there, he's like a pinata. Maybe it's better him staying there with vastly diminished influence than a fresh replacement.

Michael