[lbo-talk] Wolfowitz 'to stay' at World Bank

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Apr 15 19:37:47 PDT 2007

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> [WS:] I certainly agree with your last statement, and I also understand
> the institutional dynamics of the Bank's governance. What surprises me is
> that his tenure is going to diminish the institutional usefulness of the
> Bank as a tool of the 'international bourgeoisie'

I don't think that's true. Wolfowitz was diminishing the institutional usefulness of the bank. He was a foreign growth with an alien agenda getting in the bank's way. Every initiative he started was rebuffed; he's just fostered internal worldwinds and wasted the banks energies. FBOW, the bank would be more effective in its workaday mission with him neutered and tied to the mast.

A replacement from this administration would just be another foreign growth.

The only reason the Wolfowitz went to the WB was to avoid the tag "The Man Who Created the Iraq War." It was reputation laundering. And it's such a pleasure to see that won't happen. He'll now be known as the man who fucked up the WB after he fucked up Iraq.

Michael