[lbo-talk] Imus

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Apr 16 12:12:09 PDT 2007

Dennis:

Cute. Police are government employees with the particular assignment of "protecting and serving" as they say here in Los Angeles. The job description does not include brutality.

[WS:] No doubt. However, the point that you apparently missed was not to exonerate brutality of any kind, but to see it for what it is and in the right proportion - instead of filtering it through ideological lenses. For every case of police brutality (most of which is relatively mild anyway), there are hundreds of cases of thug brutality, which usually end in deaths of the victims. So one would expect that if rational people talk about brutality, that proportion would be somehow reflected in their talk. However, by your own count it is, respectively, 432:0 on this list.

I have no problems recognizing the harm done by the abuse of police powers and posting pieces on that subject to this list - which I have done on a few occasions. I am yet to see you and others on this list recognizing the harm done by criminals to the society and posting pieces on that subject.

Wojtek