[lbo-talk] Police brutality

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Apr 16 14:14:33 PDT 2007

________________________________

____________________________

Doug Henwood

A white guy simply has no experience of what it's like to be treated rudely by the cops. I've never been stopped and frisked in my 54 years on planet earth, and 27 in planet NYC. In 2006, the NYPD stopped and frisked over 500,000 people - 55% of them black, and 30% Hispanic. That's not "brutality," but it is an index of differential treatment based on race, and one that would give whites and blacks very different views of how the NYPD operates.

But I'm guessing that Woj might agree with the Manhattan Institute's Heather Mac Donald <http://www.city-journal.org/html/ eon2007-02-07hm.html>: Heather Mac Donald Why Cops Stop and Frisk So Many Blacks Blame high black crime, not police racism. 7 February 2007

^^^^^

CB: I would argue that it is precisely the difference in crime rates among the two that can be attributed to racism. The Black crime rate is _higher_ because of the institutional and general impact of racism.