[lbo-talk] OFFLST -- Re: IWW piece on Iranian labor situation

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 09:08:00 PDT 2007

She can't selectively invoke her ex-pat status at her convenience to say she isn't a part of the US underclass i.e., yet when working with SEIU while going to school and being here for years upon years and living a poverty-level existence claim to also identify with the US poor (who are tragically a part of "the West"), when it suits her. She doesn't float above it all, untouchable.

In any event, I said it reminded me of the old Romanticist Orientialist literary, but mostly song, traditions. And if I remember correctly Yoshie came on here years and years back as a college literature student, back then quoting literary passages before endless Googled stuff was the order of the day. I know 19th century lit. for one -- Byron, etc. Vathek, Romanticist stuff, was filled with decadent sultans, opium dens, etc. I'm not saying this is what's going on in Yoshie's head, but she is Westernized, and her fixation on Persian angels and princes reminds me of Western Orientalism, which now really no longer exists in pop. culture like it did in the 1910s and 1920s. I'm just reminded of it by her obsessiveness about this one country and its culture.

-B.