[lbo-talk] the virginina university massacre

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 17 11:10:29 PDT 2007

On Apr 17, 2007, at 1:07 PM, Sean Andrews wrote:

> I understand how this question appears logical, but you have to
> understand the peculiar psyche of the American gun owner and his Rifle
> Association: this isn't evidence of the need for gun control. In
> fact, it is evidence that everyone should be required to carry guns
> such that this individual would not have had a chance to get off more
> than a couple of shots before his classmates took him out.

Yup. Alexander Cockburn's pal Larry Pratt, who runs something called Gun Owners of America and who regards Charlton Heston as a "chardonnay-swilling sellout" (as I believe Cockburn put it in a profile of Pratt), thinks teachers should be armed to prevent just this sort of thing.

Here's GOA's press release on Virginia Tech.

Doug

----

<http://www.gunowners.org/pr0704.htm>

Virginia Tech Shooting -- Gun Bans Are The Problem, Not The Solution

For Immediate Release April 16, 2007 Contact: Eddie Isler or Ellie McDaniel 703-321-8585

"When will we learn that being defenseless is a bad defense," asked Larry Pratt, Executive Director of Gun Owners of America?

"All the school shootings that have ended abruptly in the last ten years were stopped because a law-abiding citizen -- a potential victim -- had a gun," Pratt said.

"The latest school shooting demands an immediate end to the gun-free zone law which leaves the nation's schools at the mercy of madmen. It is irresponsibly dangerous to tell citizens that they may not have guns at schools. The Virginia Tech shooting shows that killers have no concern about a gun ban when murder is in their hearts.

"Not far from Virginia Tech, a killer was stopped at the Appalachian School of Law when two students were able to go off campus to their vehicles and get their guns which they used to subdue the killer. Sadly, not even that awkward defense was available at Virginia Tech.

"Isn't it interesting that Utah and Oregon are the only two states that allows faculty to carry guns on campus. And isn't it interesting that you haven't read about any school or university shootings in Utah or Oregon? Why not? Because criminals don't like having their victims shoot back at them," Pratt said. "That's why the American people want an end to this ineffective gun ban."

Pollsters have found that 85% of Americans would find it appropriate for a principal or teacher to use "a gun at school to defend the lives of students" to stop a school massacre (Research 2000 poll).

The words of Virginia Tech spokesman, Larry Hincker, should be haunting him in the wake of the massacre at his school. Last year, a bill was killed in the Virginia legislature to enable those with concealed weapons permits to carry their guns at schools. Hincker said that "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

"Gun Owners of America has called on Congress to repeal its deadly law requiring gun free school zones," said Pratt. "Likewise, the call has been made to state legislatures to enact legislation enabling people with concealed carry permits to be able to have their weapons with them in schools."

-- GOA --