[lbo-talk] most debasedly opportunistic press release of the day

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 17 13:28:33 PDT 2007

In the wake of the Virginia Tech shootings, online social networks are proving to be crucial outlets for grief and support among students across the nation. Anastasia Goodstein, youth culture expert, creator of Ypulse.com and author of TOTALLY WIRED: What Teens and Tweens are Really Doing Online is prepared to speak about the following:

The outpouring of messages that have flooded websites like Facebook in the hours since the shootings How these sites provide a virtual gathering spot for students seeking solace after such a tragic event The pros and cons of having access to information so quickly and the role of these virtual sites

Since the emergence of sites like MySpace and Facebook, their presence has introduced a new form of grieving that makes the national response to this tragedy much different than anything we have seen in the past.

Please let me know if you would like to set up an interview with Anastasia Goodstein.

Publicity Assistant St. Martin's Press 175 Fifth Avenue New York, NY 10010 T/ 646.307.5556 E/ xxxr at stmartins.com