[lbo-talk] Mexico: We can get, yes, satisfaction!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 17 19:53:52 PDT 2007

On Apr 17, 2007, at 9:45 PM, Julio Huato wrote:

> According to a survey by condom manufacturer Durex, Mexico (as well as
> India, Nigeria) is one of the countries with highest levels of sexual
> satisfaction in the world. Very reliable stuff, I guess:

Love the way each of these three reports spins it nationally. Original at <http://www.durex.com/cm/sexual_wellbeing_home.asp>.

--------

<http://www.pr-inside.com/americans-seeking-greater-sexual- satisfaction-r95673.htm>

Americans Seeking Greater Sexual Satisfaction

2007-04-17 14:23:24 -

ATLANTA, April 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Sex in America could be a lot better. Apparently some Americans may have lost their sense of adventure and interest. Less than half of Americans (48%) are fully satisfied with their sex lives.

These are among the major findings of the new Durex Sexual Wellbeing Global Survey which questioned more than 26,000 people across 26 countries about every aspect of their sex lives in an effort to comprehensively chart what constitutes sexual wellbeing. Sexual Satisfaction is the first in a six- part series of reports.

Findings on sexual experimentation, physical pleasure, emotional aspects of sex, first sex and sex education will be announced by Durex during the next 18 months.

Key Findings About Americans

The new study shows that sexual satisfaction is about positive physical and emotional experiences, although lack of pain and problems have a role to play too. Other key findings include:

-- While satisfaction levels in America are low, the majority of us still believe sex is a vital part of life (74%) and beneficial to our health and wellbeing (77%). -- Nearly half (47%) of Americans believe less stress and tiredness would improve satisfaction levels. -- Americans are having sex 114 times a year -- well above the global average of 103. -- Americans spend slightly longer having sex than most other regions -- averaging 20 minutes per session, compared to 18 minutes globally. -- Four in ten of us would like more quality time alone with our partners and a similar number (39%) would like more romance. In addition, 34% would like more fun. -- More than six in ten Americans (62%) claim to orgasm frequently -- Sexual problems are all too common with three in ten Americans saying they have experienced painful sex at some stage and a quarter having experienced loss of libido. -- Four in ten American women have had vaginal dryness - a condition that seems to be particularly prevalent globally among teenagers, rather than simply affecting new mothers or older people. -- Meanwhile nearly three in ten American men (29%) have reported difficulties in having an erection and a third have had problems sustaining one.

The research also shows our sexual priorities are changing. We are looking for the softer, more sophisticated side of sex - an injection of romance and quality time with our partners.

"We need to invest in taking time out with our partners, de-stressing ourselves and lifestyles and introducing some romance into our relationships," said Dr. Sari Locker, a sexuality and relationships educator.

When it comes to positive changes to improve sexual satisfaction levels, more than half of all Americans (52%) recognize the importance of introducing a little more experimentation, and it is sexual fantasies (14%), role play(13%) and massage (11%) which top the wish list.

"It is encouraging that Americans want to try to inject a sense of fun and adventure into their sex lives - and the Durex survey confirms this is one of the key ways of improving satisfaction levels," commented Dr. Locker, author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Amazing Sex.

How Americans Compare To The World

-- Americans (48%) are more sexually satisfied than Australians (42%), Europeans (40%) and people in Asia Pacific countries who are the least satisfied (35%). -- Africans (66%) are the most sexually satisfied. -- Globally, 44% of people claim complete satisfaction. -- Latin Americans are the most sexually active at 138 times while North Americans (Canada and Mexico only) and Africans have sex least often (both 86 times). -- Latin Americans spend more time having sex than their North American counterparts - at 22 minutes compared to 18. -- While Africans have the least sex, they spend the most time during each session (24 minutes). -- People in Western Europe spend the least time on sex, at 17 minutes.

Having an orgasm is another key driver for sexual satisfaction, yet just 48% of people globally say they regularly orgasm.

-- Twice as many men (64%) as women usually orgasm -- Age-wise it is the 65-plus age group who are most likely to reach ultimate satisfaction -- Latin Americans lead the way, with 65% claiming to orgasm regularly -- Those in the Asia Pacific region are least likely to have an orgasm on a regular basis (34%)

"This research shows the impact of sexual conditions and highlights how vital it is for everyone - especially men - to not only think about their sexual health but to talk to their physician about solving problems and improving their sex life and that of their partner," said Dr. Kevan Wylie, a member of the World Association for Sexual Health's advisory committee. "Overcoming these sexual conditions will go a long way to helping people in America become more satisfied."

Notes To Media

Segmented information from the Murex Sexual Wellbeing Global Survey specific to men, women and youth is also available upon request. The Durex Sexual Wellbeing Global Survey can be accessed at http:// www.durexsexualwellbeing.com/

About The Durex Sexual Wellbeing Global Survey

"Sexual Satisfaction" is the first in a six-part series of reports generated by a global survey on sexual wellbeing, commissioned by Durex.

This global research was conducted to gain insights into sexual wellbeing from the general public in 26 countries. In total 26,032 people were questioned on key aspects of their lives:

The objective was to enable Durex, a leading authority on sexual wellbeing with more than 75 years of related experience in such areas as developing condoms, personal lubricants and devices intended to enhance the sexual experience, to remain at the forefront in helping people fulfill their sexual aspirations and enjoy better sex.

Conducted by Harris Interactive, participating countries were Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Poland, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, United Kingdom and United States.

As a result of the survey Durex has amassed a wealth of data, providing an unprecedented insight into all areas of sexual wellbeing. But rather than revealing all our findings in just one report, Durex will be publishing the data over the coming 18 months, looking in-depth at a variety of topics, including:

-- sexual satisfaction -- sexual experimentation -- physical pleasure -- emotional aspects of sex -- first sex -- sex education

By the end of the series Durex will have developed a model for sexual wellbeing.

The Durex Sexual Wellbeing Global Survey was conducted online during August and September 2006.

-------------

<http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/April2007/17/c6077.html>

Canadians Seeking Sexual Satisfaction

Durex(R) launches Sexual Wellbeing Global Survey

TORONTO, April 17 /CNW/ - According to recent survey findings launched today by Durex(R), sex in Canada could be a lot better. Apparently Canadians have lost their sense of adventure and interest. Moreover, only 48 per cent of Canadians claim to be fully satisfied with their sex lives.

These are among the key findings of the new Durex Sexual Wellbeing Global Survey which questioned more than 26,000 respondents across 26 countries about every aspect of their sex lives in a bid to comprehensively chart what constitutes sexual wellbeing. Sexual Satisfaction is the first in a six-part series of reports. Findings on sexual experimentation, physical pleasure, emotional aspects of sex, first sex and sex education will be announced by Durex during the next 18 months.

Canada's sexual priorities are changing. Canadians are looking for the softer, more sophisticated side of sex - quality time with partners, romance and a sense of security in the bedroom.

The changes which would most improve Canadian's sex lives are lower levels of stress or tiredness, more time alone with our partners and a higher sex drive. An extra injection of romance is also seen as vital for two in five of us.

But maybe Canadians shouldn't worry too much - apparently the rest of the world is feeling much the same, with just 44 per cent of all respondents claiming to be completely happy with their sex lives.

Canadians are certainly more content than people in Japan, (15 per cent), or those in France where only one in four are fully satisfied.

Nigeria is the most satisfied nation, with 67 per cent of respondents claiming to be fully satisfied, closely followed by Mexico (63 per cent), India (61 per cent) and Poland (54 per cent).

So what has gone awry in bedrooms throughout Canada? The survey not only unveils what appears to be a major sea change in our attitude to sex - it goes some considerable way to explaining it.

First and foremost it appears sexual satisfaction is about lack of pain and problems. But behind the bedroom door, pain and problems can be all too common.

The study shows that at some stage in their lives, nearly half of Canadian women (47 per cent) have suffered from vaginal dryness - a condition which appears to be particularly prevalent among teenagers rather than simply affecting new moms or older people.

Moreover, more than a third (35 per cent) of Canadian men have had difficulty in having an erection while two in five have had problems sustaining one.

In addition three in ten Canadians have experienced painful sex.

<<

How Canadians Compare to the World

- In Canada the average person has sex 100 times a year - compared to a

global figure of 103 - with the Greeks (164 times), Brazilians

(145 times), Poles and Russians (both 143 times) leading the way. The

dissatisfied Japanese have sex just 48 times.

- Canadians spend 18 minutes on each session - the global average.

Nigerians take the longest over sex (24 minutes) while the quickest

sex is in India (13 minutes).

- More than half of Canadians (55 per cent) usually have an orgasm

compared to just 48 per cent worldwide.

However, as only 41 per cent of Canadians say their sex lives are exciting, it is not surprising that many recognize the importance of introducing a little experimentation, with role-play (16 per cent), sexual fantasies, and massage (all 11 per cent) topping our wish lists.

Meanwhile, more than four in ten (44 per cent) believe their sex lives would be improved by lower levels of stress and tiredness, while 38 per cent would like more quality time with their partners and 37 per cent increased libidos.

More romance, tenderness and love is also seen as beneficial by four in ten, with a third looking for better communication and intimacy and 31 per cent more fun.

Mutual respect is also a vital component of a happy sex life as more than eight in ten people who feel they are respected by their partner are sexually satisfied too. In Canada 69 per cent of people feel respected by their partner during sex.

"It's encouraging that so many Canadians are trying to introduce fun and adventure into their sex lives - and the survey confirms this is one of the keys to improving satisfaction levels," says Stephanie Mitelman, certified sexuality educator. "We need to invest in taking time out with our partners, in de-stressing ourselves and our lifestyles, in being more open about sexual conditions and in introducing more romance and mutual respect into our relationships."

About the Durex Sexual Wellbeing Global Survey

"Sexual Satisfaction" is the first in a series of reports generated by a global survey on sexual wellbeing, commissioned by Durex(R).

This global research was conducted to gain insights into sexual wellbeing from the general public in 26 countries. In total 26,032 people were questioned on key aspects of their lives: health, general wellbeing, education, beliefs, sex and relationships, attitudes to sex and social circumstances.

The objective was to enable Durex, a leading authority on sexual wellbeing, with more than 75 years of related experience in such areas as developing condoms, personal lubricants and devices designed to enhance the sexual experience, to remain at the forefront in helping people fulfill their sexual aspirations and enjoy better sex.

Conducted by Harris Interactive, participating countries were Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Poland, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States.

As a result of the survey Durex has amassed a wealth of data, providing an unprecedented insight into all areas of sexual wellbeing. But rather than revealing all our findings in just one report, Durex will be publishing the data over the coming 18 months, looking in-depth at a variety of topics, including sexual experimentation, physical pleasure, emotional aspects of sex, first sex and sex education.

By the end of the series Durex(R) will have developed a model for sexual wellbeing.

The Durex Sexual Wellbeing Global Survey was conducted online during August and September 2006.

For further information visit www.durexsexualwellbeing.com.

--------------

<http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/More-sex-but-less-satisfaction- Survey/2007/04/17/1176696820323.html>

More sex but less satisfaction: Survey

Australians are having sex twice a week on average but fewer than half claim to be fully satisfied by their encounters.

An international phone survey of more than 26,000 people in 26 nations has estimated Australians have sex 106 times a year, slightly above the global average and more than twice the rate of Japan.

But the nation pales in comparison to the virile Greeks and Brazilians, who do the deed 164 and 145 times a year on average respectively.

New Zealanders also performed better, with 122 annual encounters, and they even beat Australia on sexual satisfaction rankings.

The survey found that only 42 per cent of Australians are fully satisfied with their sex lives - a tenth equal ranking alongside China, Switzerland and the UK.

They were a long way behind the most satisfied countries - Nigeria, Mexico and India, which all registered above 60 per cent.

The results of the Global Sexual Wellbeing 2006-07 Survey, sponsored by condom manufacturer Durex, will be presented at the World Congress on Sexual Health in Sydney this week.

Brisbane-based sexologist, Dr Gabrielle Morrissey, said Australia appeared to be performing "pretty middle of the road" in the bedroom on the global landscape.

"In the teacher's model we'd probably get a B-plus," Dr Morrissey said.

"We're above average, doing OK, but there's serious room for improvement."

The country performed best in the realm of orgasms, with 58 per cent claiming to climax regularly - 7th place ahead of New Zealand and the British, but behind the US, Brazil and Greece.

But sex is a speedy affair, with the average Australian spending just 17 minutes at a time on "lovemaking" - a ranking of 17th.

"That's a very short period compared to the time we're prepared to devote to other activities like surfing the net or watching TV, and that's a worry," Dr Morrissey said.

The statistics show that Australians are allowing stress and hectic lifestyles to impact on their sex lives.

Two in five believed more time with their partners and a higher sex drive could boost satisfaction levels, while a similar number wanted more tenderness and romance.

Three in ten said they would like more fun in the bedroom, either through role-playing, more oral sex or massage.

"That's all very well but there seems to be a real disconnect between what we want and what we're willing to shift around in our lives to get it," she said.

Source: Durex