[lbo-talk] corruption in India?

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Wed Apr 18 04:17:11 PDT 2007

The guy I work with says that he could never go back to India because, once he had a taste of life in the US, he couldn't deal with the corruption. What he meant was that it is supposedly very easy to get a fake driver's licence or fake college degree.

He said that, while it happens here, of course, it's not nearly to the same degree. I said something about how possibly the disparity in wealth might have something to do with it, but didn't really know. He didn't have an explanation, just that, if you have 1000 rupees, you could get a driver's license. I think he said something about how government workers are very corrupt.

I ask b/c some folks here have talked about the way that Soviets and E. Europeans built elaborate myths up about life in the USSR and E. Europe in order to justify their desire to emigrate -- myths which have held sway and taken hold of the popular imagination. This seems like just the kind of thing USers eat up: The Corrupt East.

What's the story behind claims about corruption in India? True? not? Partially true but blown out of proportion?

On a related note, I heard about a new bollywood film coming out, about working in a call center in India. The NPR program said that it's an interesting topic b/c call centers have brought money to young people who now have disposable income the likes of which previous generations haven't seen. At the same time, call center work is frowned on b/c it's often done at night -- a particularly bad thing for women to be seen doing. As with industrialization in other countries, the process is similar: draw young people into urban area to work, they end up with more income, and change the face of gender relations in some respects. Haven't had time to look it up, but I'm sure there's more on it with a google.

Speaking of entertainment, Maya Angelous will be speaking here soon. Has anyone seen her perform live? Especially recently?

bl, but my friends call me bitch :)

"You know how it is, come for the animal porn, stay for the cultural analysis." -- Michael Berube

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)