[lbo-talk] Twisted Thoughts

Jason lists at moduszine.com
Wed Apr 18 08:50:14 PDT 2007

On his blog Dennis writes: "As happened after Columbine, teachers and professors nationwide will, for a time anyway, raise red flags when reading a particularly angry or violent scenario by any given student."

Interesting post. How I am sick of hearing about this kind of stuff. Ridiculous. Quick, get everyone into therapy...

Does anyone know if Mark Ames has commented on the shooting at all? Some comments from a classmate that I heard on the radio this morning while inhaling my breakfast outside a shop seemed to (inadvertently) support his thesis on these incidents.

Jason.

PS As an outsider to the US gun/anti-gun debate, can I simply say that don't get it. It seems a bizarre obsession on both sides. The old 'guns don't kill people, people do' maxim/trope/whatever-you-like may be glib and unpleasant. But it's true.

I remember someone (a friend) arguing against legalisation of guns on the basis of the conflict in Ireland, seemingly missing the point that the guns used by all sides except the security forces were illegal anyway. Banning guns seems, to me anyway, to be treating the symptom rather than the cause.