[lbo-talk] In NYC, Meet the Emission Trading Advocates on Earth Day

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 18 09:02:22 PDT 2007

Patrick, this doesn't address my objection at all. I said there are lots of problems with cap & trade systems, but it's not correct to say that Stern & Co. are looking for a way to allow polluters to keep polluting at current levels forever. Dorsey is right about the problems with c&t, but the Stern Gang is not advocating evasion, litigation, and tendentious grandfathering.

It's also not exactly true that investors don't care. There's a lot of venture capital money going into alt.energy, and there's a new coalition of institutional investors <http://www.ceres.org> pushing for strong action by Washington to impose carbon limits. The Ceres stuff is too mild for what's needed, but again, they're not looking for excuses to prolong business as usual.

Do you object to carbon taxes? I don't see much in the book ms. you sent me about them. They're a market-based policy, but they seem to me the most effective and efficient way of going about serious GHG reduction short of abolishing the commodity form.

As for what Stern wants, here are some quotes from the summary of his Review <http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/8AC/F7/Executive_Summary.pdf>:

> Establishing a carbon price, through tax, trading or regulation, is
> an essential
> foundation for climate-change policy.
>
> The first element of policy is carbon pricing. Greenhouse gases
> are, in economic
> terms, an externality: those who produce greenhouse-gas emissions
> are bringing
> about climate change, thereby imposing costs on the world and on
> future
> generations, but they do not face the full consequences of their
> actions themselves.
>
> Putting an appropriate price on carbon – explicitly through tax or
> trading, or implicitly
> through regulation – means that people are faced with the full
> social cost of their
> actions. This will lead individuals and businesses to switch away
> from high-carbon
> goods and services, and to invest in low-carbon alternatives.
> Economic efficiency
> points to the advantages of a common global carbon price: emissions
> reductions will
> then take place wherever they are cheapest.

> Creating a broadly similar carbon price signal around the world,
> and using
> carbon finance to accelerate action in developing countries, are
> urgent
> priorities for international co-operation.
>
> A broadly similar price of carbon is necessary to keep down the
> overall costs of
> making these reductions, and can be created through tax, trading or
> regulation. The
> transfer of technologies to developing countries by the private
> sector can be
> accelerated through national action and international co-operation.

> There are a number of elements which will contribute to a credible
> vision for the EU
> ETS. The overall EU limit on emissions should be set at a level
> that ensures
> scarcity in the market for emissions allowances, with stringent
> criteria for allocation
> volumes across all relevant sectors. Clear and frequent
> information on emissions
> during the trading period would improve transparency in the market,
> reducing the
> risks of unnecessary price spikes or of unexpected collapses.

It's easy for a bunch of high-minded economists - representing the most humane and thoughtful wing of the ruling class - to say things like that in a report. What happens in the real world of politics is a completely different thing. But folks on our side of the spectrum should at least characterize the thinking of the liberal bourgeoisie accurately.

Doug