[lbo-talk] The Rule In Schmuck (Was Re: the virgininauniversitymassacre)

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Apr 18 10:01:19 PDT 2007

Charles Brown wonders:

> Doesn't practicing firing the gun so much give rise to a certain itch
> to "really" shoot it?

I would guess no more than watching porno would give rise to wanting to get naked in front of a bunch of underpaid, dressed people and have sex with someone you barely know (who has recently had plastic surgery), under hot lights and with a director telling you when to finish.

> What is the thrill, the "bang", in target practice?
> Isn't it imagining that one is really shooting somebody?

Beats me, but if you're right, there's an awful lot of unreported people getting shot in the US. How about this: why not go do some field research and report back whether or not you wind up developing such an "itch" ...? If it's as common as you think, you'll be back here in no time. But do us all a favor: get some training first, okay?

> Then there's a certain contradiction between this fun and the high
> sense of serious responsibility you attribute to permit holders. What
> is the serious responsibility they have?

Among people I know who carry on a regular basis, the biggest thing they have to worry about is being detected. That is: a permit to carry concealed typically comes with a prohibition against people seeing your gun (and subsequently freaking out about "There's a guy with a gun! Walking down the street! Minding his own business!").

Next in line is worrying about falling into that trap of becoming what J. Tyler would have us believe is in all of our hearts: being a criminal. If you carry and are caught "being a criminal" you face (much more) serious trouble. There's a whole host of laws that only apply if you're carrying a concealed weapon; make sure not to break any of them! Then there's the responsibility to stay sharp about your surroundings, which means no stopping off at your local for a beer and a basketball game. Or daydreaming in the park. Or catching a catnap on the train.

Only then do they get to tackle some of the issues you imagine: having to use lethal force in some unknown, stressful and scary situation. Is my weapon in working order? I've been told that the worst sound in the world is hearing 'click' when you expect 'bang' ... Am I sure that what I'm about to do is legal, moral, ethical? Can I live with myself if I do this? Can I live with myself if I don't? Am I sure of the safety of those around me, in front of and behind what I'm about to (try to) shoot?

I see no contradiction between behavior at a range, where none of these issues apply, and the seriousness that one has to approach the idea of carrying concealed.

Some other issues:

- It's uncomfortable

The tradeoff is between weight and capability, your mileage may vary. It's heavy and awkward. All the accessories made to help with this concealment are itchy, sweaty, and eventually smelly. Driving becomes quite a challenge.

- It's expensive

You have to train more often, you have to worry about the quality of your ammunition, you have to clean your weapon more often, things wear out, supplies get used up. There's often a yearly fee for the permit itself.

- It's limiting

You have to think about where you're going N steps ahead. Can I go into a particular building? Will I have to take my coat off? Did I want to go to the beach? Am I going some place where I'll have to secure the weapon while I'm, say, working out? Will someone see me putting it in my locker? Isn't it just easier to leave it home today? Do I have to worry about whether or not I have it? Is it in something like a bag that I might lose or have stolen?

A lot of these are similar to issues I've heard mentioned by those who ride motorcycles: is it going to rain? Do I not want to have helmet-head when I get where I'm going? Am I too tired to ride safely? Is there a place to store my helmet where I'm going? Do I have to worry about my bike being stolen while I'm inside? It's hot, do I really have to wear my leather today?

I'd say that all of these things fall under the heading of: responsibility.

Doug says:

> The seem to happen more often in the U.S. than anywhere else. If so,
> that's not a random event.

and Chuck Grimes says:

> This wasn't random.

I don't think people mean 'random' in that sense; I think they mean it in the sense of "so rare that statistically, it's indistinguishable from random" -- less likely than airplane crashes or even drownings. Murder is relatively rare (less than 1% of death in the US is attributed to 'violence'), but multiple-victim murder is way in the noise. Don't forget, we're talking about an event yesterday that's the worst of its kind, in a category of probably less than 100 events, most of them since 1980.

/jordan